Pages

Monday 28 May 2012

Les Animations Francaise


Les Triplettes de Belleville
Sylvian Chomet, 2003

4.5 Stars

I’ve never been one to hide my distaste for French cinema. Indeed, on a recent trip to Paris, I was labeled a philistine by some of my closest friends simply because I would rather succumb to the fate of a Piranha 3D extra than be made to sit through Amelie again.

As such, I was somewhat skeptical of Manami’s recent endorsement of the French animation Les Triplettes de Belleville. Heaven forbid I should have to endure yet another Francophilic couple of hours of overated “art”.

I’m glad to say that on some occasions my arrogance is utterly misplaced.

Les Triplettes de Belleville is a charming little animation which follows the tale of young Champion, a cyclist trained by his overbearing grandmother, set to win the Tour de France. During the race, however, he is kidnapped by the mafia to take part in a bizarre gambling experiment, and it is up to grandma, with the help of the titular triplets (a trio of jazz singing, frog eating old dames), and an hilariously overweight bloodhound to rescue him.

Told silently through pantomime and slapstick, the story is utterly absurd, but somehow one of the most heartwarming animations I’ve ever had the pleasure to watch. The artwork is a peculiar mix of 2D and CGI, with beautifully realized backdrops perfectly clashing with the most grotesque of caricatures (who, in the most self-deprecating I’ve ever seen in animated film, all look outstandingly French!).  A flavour of the Miyazaki air is abundant, and as such it is clear to see why this was a sleeper hit in Japan.

With toe-tapping music throughout, and a dinner scene to rival The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, this is certainly a little cinematic gem I’m glad to have been introduced to… Perhaps France deserves another chance…

Hmm…

No comments:

Post a Comment